Pages

Popular Posts

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Desire vs Responsibility








This piece was built from hundreds of layers of bamboo laminated together.  Each little square is a separate piece of bamboo.  All the bamboo could have been grown in a few years, instead of the 50+ years it would have taken to grow a tree this big.  The insets are burls pulled from a local burn pile.  The slab is wood that was salvaged from a drained millpond here in Springfield.  The blue coloring is mineral deposits built up over the last 50 years, while the log was submerged.  Even the steel tubing and plate is reclaimed from demolition of an old building.  Making something visually interesting (I hope) out of cast away materials was an interesting exercise.

Conceptually this piece was based on the struggle between my own personal selfish desires and my responsibilities.  As my desires pulled one way the responsibility of family, work, etc. pulled another.  The burls, which are basically the wound of a tree, represent the damage this struggle can cause.  Through this struggle I find myself and therefore the piece, in a delicately balanced position.

No comments:

Post a Comment